Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Almost there...

Hello from Miami! Lauren and I missed a connection yesterday so we are currently hanging out at our friend Denis’ condo in Miami awaiting our 4:15pm flight to Managua. Despite the delay in getting to Nicaragua we are so glad we had the chance to see Denis and spend some time at his sweet place.

Our plan is to arrive in Managua this evening and spend the rest of this week and this weekend getting settled. We will be taking Spanish classes for two weeks, starting on on Monday, October 1st, at the Viva Spanish School and are renting a room from them until we find an apartment. Hopefully we can find a place to rent, get cell phones, look into buying a scooter, and get ourselves a bit acclimated with Managua before we start classes.

Lauren will be splitting her time between two orphanages in Managua. We had the chance to visit both of them when we were here in May, during which Lauren fell in love with the kids. I know that she will do an amazing job in developing relationships with them and showing them love.

I am still in the process of figuring out what I’ll be doing. I was fairly certain I had a volunteer position set up with a microfinance organization, but it appears that those plans have perhaps fallen through. I’ve been busy contacting other organizations about the possibility of volunteering with them and I’ll be sure to post when I get things figured out. Good thing we have 2 weeks of classes before I need to get my act together!

Thank you all so much for all of the encouragement you’ve given me throughout this process. I feel so loved by my family and friends and your thoughts, prayers, and support have made this transition so much easier.

Hopefully my next post will be from Nicaragua!

No comments: