Thursday, September 27, 2007

We're here!

I thought it would be a good idea to write an entry describing the house in which we’re renting a room for the next two and a half weeks. My motivations for doing this are twofold. One, I figure it would be beneficial to give you a taste of our lives here and, two, we are without power so my laptop is doing a decent job of providing light for the room.

As we were being driven here from the airport, Lyndon, the owner/director of the language school, mentioned the rolling blackouts currently in effect. Never experiencing such a phenomenon before, I selectively disregarded his comment until I noticed the lack of street lights; or any lights for that matter. We were then told that the section in which we’re staying is without power this week from 5-10pm each weekday. The schedule changes weekly, but for the next two days we will have to find ways to entertain ourselves 16th-century style for 5 hours a night. Very interesting.

Anyways, the room is quite nice, although a bit small. We have a bed, a wardrobe, a table, and a plastic chair. We also have access to our own bathroom, and, the highlight of the room, a mosquito net hanging over our bed. Perfect.

Tonight we went to an internet café, which was powered by generators, to send emails home announcing our safe arrival. We then returned home to a lovely dinner of rice, vegetables, and bread prepared by our house mother, Mara. I then showered, but resumed sweating approximately 25 seconds after toweling off.

Tomorrow we plan on meeting with the language school people to pay them and set up our schedule for the next two weeks. Then we’ll try to meet with the real estate agent and perhaps get cell phones. Should be tight.

3 comments:

Scott Smith said...

Hey Dylan. It must be HOT there but at least the food sounds good. I'm always more interested in how good my food is than how good I smell! Glad you made it there ok.

Abuelita said...

I am so happy I discovered this blog! I love you both and am behind you all the way : )

Abuelita said...

by the way, this is ruthie. not quite an abuelita... i dont know why my computer is saying that...