Friday, November 9, 2007

A Breakthrough

With the help of my friends Abdhie and Keren I was able to communicate with the kids and their families today. What a privilege. I am realizing how much I take communication for granted.

We all had lunch together, during which Abdhie and Keren translated my numerous questions. I also asked them to tell the kids a little about me so they could get a better idea of why this gringo shows up every day to hang out with them.

The lunch was fun although Ninoska did not join us. Supposedly there is a bit of a rift right now between her family and Sonia’s. Although (maybe I should say ‘Because’) the mothers are sisters they don’t always get along. Through Abdhie and Keren I was told that Ninoska felt bad because Sonia’s mother (Ninoska’s aunt) had asked me for money for a new bed. Ninoska felt like she was taking advantage of me, and was thus so upset with Sonia that she didn’t want to come to lunch. We saw Ninoska afterwards though, and I told her, through Abdhie and Keren, that I really missed having her at lunch and that she has to come on Monday. She said she would think about it.

After lunch we all went back to the street on which they all work. Sonia’s mother sells sunglasses while her father sells car accessories and the kids wash windows.

Although I am glad that we are able to have lunch together every day I want to help the kids in a more long-lasting manner. I recognize the importance of allowing them a few hours of childhood every day, but I also want to assist them grow out of this poverty more permanently. The only idea I’ve had so far is to send them to a better school. Education would be a great investment for the kids. Not only will it allow them to hopefully have better jobs and escape the cycle of poverty, but it also gets them off the street during the day. The kids have been telling me that they go to school in the mornings and then work in the afternoon. If only we could find a full-day school…

I also want to find a way to help the parents earn a better living. If they have better jobs they will be able to provide better lives for the kids. My inspiration for this idea comes from some microfinance cases I have read. Perhaps the classic example is loaning a woman money to buy a washing machine so she can start a small laundry business. The details of such endeavors clearly differ between cases, but the constant of providing people with means to achieve self-sustenance remains.

Abdhie, Keren, the parents, and I had a chance to talk. Abdhie and Keren told Sonia’s parents about the plan to get the kids in a better school than the one they are currently attend. At this point the father told us that the kids don’t go to school now. Now they are on the street all day, every day. He said they were in school but dropped out because they couldn’t afford it. This was a heartbreaking revelation for me. For about a month now the kids have been telling me about their school, even answering my questions of “what did you learn today?” and “do you have much homework?” To find out that they felt they had to lie to cover up for their poverty was so hard to hear.

The parents were receptive to our plan. They knew of a Catholic school near their house which, they think, costs about $20/person/month. Keren explained that we would try to arrange to pay the school directly for their tuitions. Keren had the brilliant idea of also offering a small amount of money – perhaps $25/month – to the parents to make up for the lost income from the kids’ labor. The father seemed pleased with these suggestions, noting that if the kids were in school and if they received this money his wife could remain at home. Keren thought it would be best to refrain from mentioning any further ideas I had to help the parents as we didn’t want to overwhelm them.

The plan is to go to the school on Monday or Tuesday with the father and one of my friends who can translate to discuss this possibility. They kids wouldn’t be able to start classes until the next semester starts in January, but it seems best to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

I am so excited that there might be a way to tangibly help the kids in a more long-term way. My ultimate goal is to see them go to college. If they could achieve this, they will certainly have exponentially greater chances of making better lives for themselves. This goal is a long way off, though, and I am trying not to get too far ahead of myself.

I am hopeful that next week we will be able to work something out with the school they want to attend. I am almost giddy about today’s occurrences. I am trying to temper my excitement because, being Nicaragua, I doubt that this process will be smooth and easy. I think it’s a real possibility, however.

The constant question I’ve been thinking about since my arrival is; ‘What does God have in store for me here?’ Although I still don’t have a firm answer I believe I got a small taste of one today. As we were saying our goodbyes to the parents I had Keren tell them how much I’ve enjoyed getting to know the kids and spend time with them. The father told us that he thinks that us meeting each other is a “God thing.” I couldn’t agree more.

No comments: