Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Return to the Kiddies

I caught a taxi to Metrocentro today, since I didn’t want to carry my big bag of clothes on the bus, in order to meet the kids for lunch. I was kind of nervous, I think because I was afraid something would have changed while I was gone. When I got there the kids ran up and greeted me, quickly calming my nerves and assuring me that we could pick up right where we left off.

Somehow the group seemed to expand in my absence, as 11 kids were ready and waiting today. Although it’s so hard to do, I initially told them I couldn’t take everyone out to lunch. They responded by saying the newcomers would only play, and not eat, to which I caved and said they could come.

We broke tradition and, at the kids’ request, ate at Pollo Campero (a KFCish restaurant), about 2 blocks from Metrocentro. This turned out to be a wonderful development, as Pollo Campero had a jungle gym, thus allowing the kids to entertain themselves and run around out there instead of inside, like they usually do in Metrocentro. They played outside while I ordered a couple huge family meals.

The lunch started out on a trying note when four of the kids managed to spill their drinks, two on me, within the first 5 minutes of their arrival. They were surprisingly well-behaved during the division of the chicken and, for the most part, during the meal, though. The downside of such a large group is I was more of a manager than a dining companion. However, I’m glad so many kids could come.

After we ate the kids played in the play area or drew pictures with me at the table. The staff at Pollo Campero was very receptive and hospitable, allowing us to stay although we were surely bothering other customers purely as a result of putting 11 street kids in a restaurant setting.

We then went back to their street corner and I handed out all boys’ clothes all of you have so generously donated over the last few months. They were so excited! Tomorrow I’ll bring the girls’ clothes, I couldn’t carry both sets today – a good problem to have! I also gave the mothers a huge bottle of chewable vitamins for each family, which were also donated. I felt poorly that I didn’t have clothes for the newcomers, but you all were so generous that there are more clothes waiting in my attic to be delivered next time we have visitors.

Spending time with the kids today was personally very relieving. I had such a wonderful time at home that I struggled with getting back into the Nicaraguan groove yesterday afternoon and this morning. After today’s lunch, though, I know that I am supposed to be here and am happy to see what happens with the kids. I know that although there are sad times when I miss home tremendously; there are also times here when I see God in each of the kids I work with. It’s the latter times, and the amazing support you have given us, which provide me motivation to keep going.


Much love,
dw

No comments: