Thursday, January 10, 2008

Emily's Blog

I was only in Nicaragua for 6 full days, but I feel like I really had a chance to get to know the country and the people that Dylan has grown to love. I feel so blessed that now I can share in this experience with him.

One thing is for sure, in Nicaragua there are no rules and no signs. I had an idea of what to expect from all that Dylan told me about his home away from home, but I really could never have prepared myself for this amazing experience.

My first experience of Nicaragua was from the backseat of a taxi. A taxi equipped with a “siren” for a horn. And yes the siren horn was used whenever, not exactly when necessary. The only transportation more exciting was the elaborately decorated school buses.

The market was an overwhelming sight of people and goods. It wouldn’t have been necessary to buy anything from the shops, walking around and observing was exciting enough for me. Although I did make some purchases (who can pass up a hammock for $11?).

San Juan del Sur was beautiful. The trip to and from the beach was of course an interesting experience, but it was worth it. I loved eating dinner directly on the beach and listening to the waves. And who doesn’t love spaghetti for lunch when you are deserted on the beach for the afternoon? It was so amazing to experience the beautiful sunset, clear blue water, and cool evening breeze.

And then there are the kids…

Walking around to the street corner, and watching them rush over to us from 50 yards away yelling “DILAN” at the top of their lungs, is an image that will always stay with me. I was immediately received with hugs and kisses. Even after I explained to them that I could not speak Spanish very well, they asked questions and wanted to know all about me. I just could not get over their openness and loving hearts.

As soon as we got to lunch they wanted to see my camera. They loved taking pictures of us, in all kinds of combinations and poses, most of me and the chicken mascot painted on the wall. We played games (games that I did not understand or know the rules of, and yet always won) and danced. Dylan and I were married, twice. The girls all giggled as they did my hair and prepared me for the event. Their smiles and laughter were such a treat. They showered me with their gifts, generosity, and love.

When it came time for me to leave, I wanted to listen to their pleas for me to stay. It was so hard to say goodbye, and we had only just met a few days before. It was so easy to fall in love with each and every one of them. They are all so unique and special, and so happy and loving. I feel so fortunate that I was able to meet and spend some time with them. I don’t think I will be able to explain to them the impact they have made on my life through Dylan and through this trip. And for that I am truly grateful.

My time in Nicaragua was amazing. I made a promise to the kids that I would come back and visit soon. I know that I will keep that promise. I am looking forward to the next time I get to pile into a colorful school bus, dangerously maneuver through the streets, and see the smiling faces of my new friends.

No comments: