Tuesday, January 1, 2008

No Work Today

When I arrived at the street corner I found 6 of the kids playing, not washing cars. The rest of the kids, along with their mothers, another aunt, and some cousins I’d never met, arrived about 10 minutes later. It turns out they don’t usually work in January since “business is slow.” So, they came in their nice clothes just to have lunch. I recognized so many of the clothes as those we just handed out during our Christmas party; the ones you all donated. I was thrilled that they all made the trip just to eat with me, but even more happy that they aren’t going to work in the near future.

A couple of quick stories/observations:

1 – Carlos relayed a conversation he had with Sonia to me in which she said, “I am so glad that we don’t have to work now,” (meaning in January). Although the kids often tell me they like their work I find this hard to believe. Most of the time they are semi-adults, hardened by their time on the streets, but it seems like when we have lunch they let loose and are just kids again. I’m so glad they can run around and act crazy for a few hours a day. I think that Sonia unwound enough today to reveal her true feelings to Carlos.

2 – I thought the moms’ presence would ensure good behavior from the kids, but I was sorely wrong. I think the larger-than-usual group just got them more revved up. There were a couple fights and some tears today. The moms have no reservations about spanking the kids. A few of the brawlers soon became bawlers after their moms found out what happened.

3 – I would like to tell you that the families are always 100% content with what we’re able to do for them and never ask for more, but this isn’t always true. I will say that, without fail, they, especially the kids, thank us profusely. Today though, some of the moms were complaining to Carlos that the 500 Cordobas (approx. $28) each family will receive each month as part of the sponsorship program is not enough. One mom often pulls me aside when Carlos is not around and asks for money. I never say yes since I want to treat all of the families equally. I am writing this not to complain about their ingratitude. I know they are beyond grateful. I just want to give you all fuller picture of life here. I do not fault them at all. If I were in their position I would probably ask for more, too.

4 – It rained most of the day, including when we left Pollo Campero. Since they weren’t working they were all ready to catch a bus home. It’s a holiday though, so the buses don’t run very frequently. (I found this out when I sat at the station waiting and waiting this morning. Just like I did on Christmas. Eventually I had to take a taxi. I’ve heard the definition of insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results…) So, we all crowded under the covered bus stop and waited. After about 20 minutes with no bus they asked if I could pay for a taxi to take just the moms and their small babies home, thus allowing the babies to stay dry. I agreed and Carlos flagged one down. He was unable to find any drivers willing to take the moms and babies to their neighborhood, explaining that drivers all felt the area was too dangerous to travel into.

5 – I was so touched when the kids, when we were saying goodbye, said, “I love you,” “Thank you,” and “God bless you;” all in English. They had asked Carlos during lunch and were so proud and excited to tell me such special phrases in English. Carlos, who teaches English part-time at a local college, has a vision of holding English lessons for the kids. We agreed that once the sponsorship program gets up and running we’ll reevaluate our situation and hopefully we will have enough money to hire him to teach.

Okay, that’s enough for now. My girlfriend Emily is arriving tomorrow! I’m so excited for her to meet the kids and get a taste of the Nica life.

No comments: