Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Our Final Party

It’s a bit odd for me to write this blog at my kitchen table in Baltimore, dressed in sweat pants and a long-sleeved shirt. I am still trying to get used to being cold again. While the weather, food, and ubiquitous presence of English have all taken awhile to readjust to, I’ve found that the hardest part about being in Baltimore is the fact that I am apart from the kids.

My last day was one that I will always treasure. It exemplifies my adventures in Nicaragua, capturing the essence of my experience within the time-frame of a day.

The day’s excitement began when, despite my efforts to flag them down, not one but two buses drove by me at the bus stop. Just some typical fun with Nicaraguan transportation. I found a cab, though, and thus arrived at the street corner earlier than usual.

The kids were waiting for me in their clean, new clothes, toting presents they excitedly gave me. Much like the small teddy bears and pink lipstick I received days before, I could picture the kids looking around their houses for things that they valued, thinking they would be perfect gifts. This time I received several large teddy bears and numerous pictures and letters. The kids also had stuffed animals for me to take to Nefret, my mom, and Emily. All of the stuffed animals were worn and dirty; obviously the product of years of affection and usage. I was so honored to receive such meaningful presents. The kids gave out of their poverty, giving some of their most treasured toys.

We had a delightful time at our party at the Fun House. All said there were 26 people there, including 19 kids. The kids managed to sit down long enough to eat their chicken nuggets and fries and draw a few pictures. The calm lasted for about 20 minutes, after which the allure of the games in the Nicaraguan Chuck-E-Cheese-esque place took over. Usually we pay for each kid to play two games. This time, though, we purchased an hour of unlimited play for each one. When Carlos told the kids of this development they freaked out. I’ve never seen them so excited.

The kids played for an hour non-stop. They laughed and smiled just acted like kids. It was really a great way to end our time together. My goal for the party was to show the kids just how much I care about them and how special they are. I hope that they felt that.

After the party I, carrying a large plastic bag with all of my gifts, walked with the kids back to their corner. We spent about 15 minutes exchanging phone numbers, hugging, and saying goodbye. The kids got me a taxi and chased after it, waving and smiling, as we drove away.

Our final time together was really special. I will always have mental images of those kids smiling and running around. I can still feel their little arms hugging my legs. Their love was so evident, as it was throughout our entire time together. I’m so thankful for the relationships we established.

I’ll post my final letter within the next few days. Thanks for reading.

No comments: