Friday, January 18, 2008

THANK YOU!

“Gracias por todo.” (Thank you for everything)

“Te quiero mucho.” (I love you a lot)

With those words I got into the taxi last Thursday, leaving not only the kids but also a part of my heart on their street corner in Managua.

Over the last 3.5 months I’ve been blessed to spend time with a group of kids who every day work at a busy intersection downtown, washing windshields and running between stopped cars begging for coins. I had the pleasure of eating lunch with the group, which grew from 3 to 15, every day at nearby fast-food restaurants. We bonded over greasy chicken, coloring books, a play area, and a digital camera. The pure and vibrant love the kids possess transcends the language barrier and I quickly fell in love with them. Despite being forced to mature too rapidly by working on the streets, they have miraculously maintained a remarkable amount of the beauty and innocence found in childhood.

While our lunch dates offered them a brief respite from working on the streets, I knew that they were merely a Band-Aid solution. Seeking to provide more long-term relief, we came up with the idea for a sponsorship program through which the kids could re-enroll in school.

To date, 13 kids have been registered and, starting in a few weeks, will spend their time in class rather than on the street. We have also started providing monthly food allowances for each family involved in the program, giving the parents further incentive to keep their kids in school. In addition, we’ve hired a Nicaraguan man, who speaks both English and Spanish, to run the program now that I’m back in the USA.

I’m excited to tell you that we’re currently in the process of establishing the program as an official non-profit organization. We really believe that this program can thrive. Once we figure out the arrangements for developing the non-profit we will commence fund-raising efforts. I’ll surely keep you updated as things progress, hopefully soon.

“Te quiero mucho.” “Gracias por todo.”

I spoke these words to the kids last Thursday and, with the same authenticity, offer them to you now. I have been so honored by the incredible support I’ve received throughout this adventure. I honestly feel that, although I am the one who was physically present in Nicaragua, you, as my family and closest friends, are the ones responsible for what we’ve been able to accomplish. Without your prayers, encouragement, thoughts, and interest I am certain that I would not have been strong enough to overcome the challenges I faced. I truly mean it when I say that ‘we’ did this.

My experience in Nicaragua provides yet another example of how God doesn’t call the equipped, but instead chooses to equip the called. I left home only knowing that I was supposed to spend some time in Managua. Through various closed doors, many of which I unsuccessfully tried to pry open, God led me to meet these kids. Somehow he used an introverted kid who doesn’t speak much Spanish nor have much patience with kids to lay the foundations for breaking this cycle of poverty.

In addition to working on this sponsorship program, I’m now applying to graduate school for journalism and have started an internship with Baltimore magazine. I’m not sure if journalism is the exact path I want to follow right now, but I know that I enjoy writing so we’ll see if anything comes of this.

I will always be grateful to you and to God for allowing me this experience. I know that I received many more blessings than I could have possibly bestowed. Although my time as a resident of Nicaragua has come to an end, I believe that my involvement in these kids’ lives has truly just started.



With Much Love,
Dylan

No comments: