Thursday, December 27, 2007

Ben's First Day

Pictures from my parents’ visit and the last few weeks with the kids are posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwnicaragua/

Ben arrived yesterday morning, having left Dulles at 2:45am and made two connections in Guatemala and El Salvador, impressively energetic and ready for a Nicaraguan adventure. We came home for a bit before meeting the kids for lunch.

I hold myself solely responsible for jinxing the calm that presided over the first 20 or so minutes of lunch by remarking to Ben how peaceful and well-behaved the kids were being. Shortly following my regrettable comment, and Brad’s surprise arrival, I think the kids gathered together and decided to have a contest of who could be the craziest.

I will give them credit for their success in this endeavor; they are quite talented! J Even though I complain sometimes about their behavior I know that we all, including myself, had a wonderful time. They were just so happy and excited by the food, friends, and visitors that they couldn’t help but be a little out of control. It’s a good problem to have, I think. I will say, though, that in light of this experience I do not foresee myself becoming a father anytime in the near future. I can barely take care of myself, much less a completely dependent child!

After lunch we caught a couple buses to the market to change some money and do some shopping. Ben and I had fun walking through the madness that is Huembes. Even though I’ve been there a bunch of times I still thoroughly enjoy the trip.

When we arrived home we found that our internet had been suspended due to lack of payment. I admit that I did not pay the bill, but this is only because I never received one! So, Ben and I walked to the cable company’s office to rectify the situation. I’m so thankful he was here to sort things out as I do not have close to the vocabulary necessary to do so.

Last night we had dinner at the little restaurant near our house. We enjoyed some delicious gallo pinto and fried plantains, in addition to chicken and steak. It was great.

I’m not quite sure what we’re getting ourselves into tonight. I invited the kids over to my house for a Christmas party. It will be madness, but lots of fun, I’m sure.

No comments: