Monday, December 10, 2007

Plans Postponed

Today didn’t go as expected – maybe it did, since Nicaragua isn’t so conducive to plans – but we still had a good time. The plan was for Keren to meet us at Pollo Campero for lunch and then get the mothers and visit the schools to discuss enrolling the kids. Unfortunately Keren’s car broke down and she wasn’t able to make it. We’re scheduled to go tomorrow, though, so hopefully that will work out.

It’s so funny how different my current work situation is from what I initially expected. I thought I would have an official position with a microfinance organization, doing some office work, field work, and writing. I also considered working at the orphanage where I spent my spring breaks, but figured that I wanted a job that was both more structured and not with kids. I really enjoy working with kids but also know that I get worn out with them quite quickly and didn’t think I had the patience to be with them every day.

Well, it looks like God had other things in store, as my “job” entails working with kids in a very unofficial and unstructured manner. Funny how that happens…

Anyways, the kids were a handful today, but still great. I don’t know what was up with my little friend Ysaac. He definitely wasn’t he usual bubbly self today. He started complaining and sulking when I didn’t give him the piece of chicken he wanted. At first he just refused to eat and sat in the corner, but after a few minutes he told me he was leaving and walked out, despite my commands to wait. After about 20 minutes of standing outside and looking in at the kids playing, then running around the parking lot, he returned, only to cause more trouble by acting up in the play area. I didn’t like having to discipline him, but I think it was certainly necessary, since it was scary watching him run around in the parking lot. I think we eventually worked everything out, though. I’m wondering if there was something else he was upset about, with the chicken incident just being the last straw.

Kevin, an 11-year old, told me he had to leave shortly after we ate so he could get back to work. I am always so sad when they do this.

It’s rained all day so Lauren and I are going to chill here and try to get some grocery shopping done if it ever lets up. It’s hard to believe this is our last week together. I am so excited for her to return home but I know that I will miss her tremendously.

No comments: