Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Story Time

Here are just a few anecdotes from the last few days which I hope you find interesting.

1 – Yesterday, as I prepared to leave after lunch, the kids readied themselves, as usual, to accompany me to my bus stop. I needed to pick up some groceries up the street and also wanted to check out the showtimes for the nearby circus, so I told them that I wasn’t taking the bus. Ninoska, the oldest girl, thought that I perhaps didn’t have enough money for the bus fare, so she offered me some of the cords she earned washing windshields earlier in the day. Her generosity was remarkable.

2 – I got a kick out of seeing Leonardo, the 9-year old boy, running around yesterday in a Ray Lewis jersey which had been donated, and I had given to him last week. One of the mothers thanked me for all of the “beautiful clothes” that you all donated. So, on behalf of the families, thanks!

3 - Today, as I was leaving, the mother of two of the kids (not one of the feuding families) gave me one of the beach towels she sells on the street corner. I was so touched by the gift. Her son also gave me a t-shirt last week. It is amazing how giving these families have been, considering they have almost nothing for themselves.

4 – The kids ask about our friend Nefret, who visited in October and spent substantial time with the kids, every day. It is so cool to see the incredible impact Nefret made in just a week. I bet that I’ve been asked when Nefret is coming back approximately 100 times since she left. Today we also discussed my departure in January. I reassured the kids that Nefret and I would come back and visit during the summer. I haven’t talked with Nefret about this yet though… :)

5 - I ran into my friend Mikael today. He is a taxi driver / translator with whom I've worked on previous trips. I was a bit alarmed when I saw a taxi reversing down the street but soon realized it was him. I got his number and hopefully I will see him soon.

Today was good. We had 11 kids but 6 of them left early when their mothers came to get them for baths. The 5 who remained were wonderful and we had a great time.

That’s all for now. I am so thankful that you are reading this. It means so much to me and Lauren that you are interested and supportive of what we are involved with here. You are the best!

-dw

No comments: