Sunday, December 23, 2007

Weekend Recap

Friday was pretty exciting. I spent the morning researching the necessary steps to starting a non-profit, even creating some by-laws. Carlos joined me and the kids for lunch. I counted the kids as they were sitting and eating; somehow 13 of them were there. It’s getting harder and harder to tell kids they can’t come as I get to know more of them. Also, I’m leaving so soon that I want to include as many as I can. Carlos is quite helpful in keeping the kids in line, though.

During lunch Carlos and I decided that we’d take Aura, a girl who recently entered the program, to the market to buy her supplies that afternoon. Through Carlos I found out that Aura was left by her mother on her grandmother’s doorstep when she was one month old. Her grandmother, who has to be at least 70 years old, has raised her ever since. Aura also has a bother, Eber, who was abandoned by his family a few years ago. I wasn’t able to figure out if they are biological brother and sister. They are very close, either way. Upon hearing about her brother, Carlos and I agreed that we had to include him in the program, too.

So, after lunch we took a trip to the market, with their grandmother, to buy supplies. We got backpacks, shoes, uniforms, and socks. Both Eber and Aura were so thankful. They are both reserved, preferring to sit back and watch the action at lunch while the rest of the kids run around like animals. I’ve enjoyed spending time with them and am glad that they’ll be able to get back into school.

Friday evening was fairly uneventful. I went grocery shopping and then for a run. Now that I’m not 22 anymore I have no qualms about going to sleep at 10pm on Friday nights. J

Saturday’s highlight was definitely having lunch with Angel, our real estate agent and friend. He speaks great English and loves talking about current events and Nicaraguan life. He painted a fairly discouraging picture of the situation. I appreciated his perspective and insight.

This afternoon I went to Catarina, a small tourist spot about 40 minutes from Managua, with my friend Erwin. Erwin is a security guard for a building that I pass by on my way to and from the bus stop, and we’ve become friends over the course of our daily chats for the last few months. Earlier this week he asked me if I wanted to hang out today. When he suggested Catarina, explaining it offered a beautiful view, a nice breeze, Nicaraguan music, and good seafood, I agreed to go this afternoon.

One of Erwin’s friends took us to Catarina in his taxi. Once we arrived I realized that I’d been there once before on my trip here last August. The main attraction is the overlook into a lake-filled crater. It really is beautiful. We took some pictures, walked around, and had some iced tea and shrimp soup at a restaurant overlooking the view. Erwin speaks very quickly and is hard to understand, so our conversations mostly consist of him speaking and me alternating between saying, “What?’, “Yes,” and “No.” He is a really nice guy, though, and we had a good time.

When I got back I went on a run and then cooked some delicious Hawaiian pizza using some leftover ham and the pineapple I bought for 60 cents(!) yesterday. The pineapple tasted extra sweet because I chopped it up with my machete.

Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, is the big day to celebrate here. I’m going to our friend Keren’s house for dinner and fireworks. It should be fun. Sonia called me tonight to tell me that the kids aren’t going to be at the street corner tomorrow. I am going to go though, just in case she was only talking about her family. I will be happy if they are not there, though, they deserve a day off for Christmas.

No comments: