Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dad's Observations

Here's what my father, Gary, had to say about the trip:



I have been asked by several people, “How was the trip?” I still can’t come up with any sort of an answer that justifies the experience. Maybe that’s because I still can’t answer it for myself.

Dylan gave a better blow-by-blow than I can so I’ll take this opportunity to recall a few observations.

Ø I remember the look on Jonathan’s face (maybe 2 or 3 years old at the orphanage that Lauren worked in) as I held him. It was the first of many curious “stares” as it seems many in Nicaragua had no idea what to make of me. After a few minutes he smiled and began unbuttoning my shirt as if to see if I really was that color all over.

Ø I am amazed at the courage of Lauren, Dylan, & their friend from VA, Brad, to come down here and do what they doing. I don’t know any of my friends at this age that would have even considered such a journey. I know I wouldn’t have.

Ø I was overwhelmed by the basic human instinct of children to just be held.

Ø 90 degrees in December, tropical foliage, I can’t understand one word anyone is saying, I’m a foot taller than everyone I see and there’s Christmas decorations – look at the signpost up ahead – I’ve entered The Twilight Zone.

Ø I still laugh at Mikeal’s reaction to us asking if they sold human body parts at the notorious Oriental Market in Managua. (“Oh no way!”) One of the kids said you could buy a kidney there.

Ø The taxi drivers here have a system of morse code that uses car horns.

Ø I saw pictures of “The Dump” from Dylan’s previous trips. I watched a video on YouTube of it & now I have driven through it and seen it with my own eyes and it is still inconceivable to me that hundreds of people live and work in this place; much less that it contains 2 schools and kids grow up there.

Ø As much of the “good” garbage is picked over and used or sold, a lot of the rest is randomly burned wherever people want throughout the city. This leaves a fairly constant smell of smoke wherever you go in Managua.

Ø You can hear fireworks every night in most of the city. Bless these folks – they are celebrating something.

Ø There are only 2 musical rhythms in this country. Both of them sound very similar after 4 days.

Ø I liked the food here in Nicaragua better than in Italy. It must be me.

Ø The public bus system is primary highly decorated (trust me when I say “highly decorated” – many colors, steamers, colored lights inside) old USA school buses. I am convinced that The Partridge Family runs the mass transit department here.

Ø It’s universal across the world – I have seen it now in so many countries – kids just love Marianne from the second they see her. I used to tease her that it was because they were the same size. But I know it’s because most kids are very good judges of character and can see her heart. “Dylan’s kids” had her surrounded within seconds. Really; no exaggeration. I am fortunate that I get some of the halo effect (I guess they figure the big guy can’t be too bad if he’s with her) and they let me play too.

Ø I have been amazed for years at Dylan’s ability to be patient, listen and react to immense challenges. What I saw and what he is doing in Nicaragua has taken that respect and wonder to a level that is indescribable.

Ø I never felt from the kids, “I wish I had what they have.” I find myself, in hindsight, not only freshly thankful for what God has blessed me with, but also wishing I had some of what they have – the resilience, courage, appreciation and ability to find joy in the simplest things. I will work on that.

No comments: