Tuesday, December 4, 2007

From yesterday, Dec 3rd

Yesterday was one of the hardest days I’ve had so far, although I can’t give a sure explanation why. I think a combination of missing home, feeling a little sick, and taking a practice GRE established a dreary tone for the day before I even went to hang out with the kids.

When I got off the bus I saw some of the kids playing with two teenage girls – maybe 18 and 16 – near the street corner. Ninoska and Kevin were washing windshields right near the bus stop, so I stopped and said hi to them before walking over to greet the rest of the kids. Ninoska and Kevin seemed fine and excited to join us. When they followed me over to join the other kids though, they moods immediately changed. They initially refused to come, and walked back to the corner to resume working. I told the other kids, who had started the walk, to wait and pleaded with Kevin and Ninoska to come. Only then did they start following us, albeit at a distance.

The group initially numbered 8 yesterday. With such a large group I am so glad that there’s a play area at Pollo Campero. There is no way I could contain them in the food court at Metrocentro. We ate fried chicken and the kids played for a long time.

Ninoska and Kevin spent the first 45 minutes or so standing outside the outdoor eating area, staring in at us through the metal bars. It was so hard to see them out there and not understand why they were upset or how to fix the situation. They told me they were upset with some of the other kids but I was unable to gather more. I was quite frustrated with my low level of Spanish skills. Being frustrated, in turn, only worsened my conversational skills.

Eventually Ninoska and Kevin agreed to come in and eat. They even played a little bit. I was so glad that they could let go of their differences for a little bit and just be kids. Seeing that innocence return for an hour was wonderful.

The rule is that the kids each get two pieces of chicken, and I had saved 4 pieces for two of the kids who weren’t there. Sadly, one of the kids either ate them or, what I think is the more likely explanation, packed them away in their carry-out boxes. I was disappointed that one of the kids did this, but not entirely surprised considering the temptation the extra chicken must have been. I can’t expect kids who live such tough lives to always make the right choice, especially when they are hungry.

I had always heard the importance of doing this kind of work with either a partner or a team, but I am only now beginning to recognize the truth in such a claim. I think that the language barrier only amplifies my need for a partner in these endeavors. Living with Lauren has been amazing, and I have treasured our time together and her support. However, I think it’s important to not only live with someone, but also work with others. So, a word of advice to anyone looking to do service or missionary work – find a partner!

I am excited about a few things. First, my friend Brad is going to try to come on Thursday. He is great, and speaks Spanish much better than I do. He also has a motorcycle, so we are thinking about going to Ninoska’s house for a bit after lunch that day. Also, Keren is going to come one day next week to try to meet with the schools to move forward with the sponsorship program. We have also talked about hiring someone to run it after I leave. I am pleased with the progress we’ve made, and hopefully will continue to make next week.

Thank you all for the amazing support you have given us throughout our time here. I have no doubt that your encouragement has been instrumental in allowing us to continue our work here.

Much love,

dw

No comments: