Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Kids are Tight

Today was better, for many reasons. Most importantly, there was no drama between the kids today. It was so nice to have everyone ready and eager to have lunch today. We rolled deep again – 10 kids and me – even with one of the usual boys missing.

Discipline and maintaining order have become more important as the group has grown larger. I thought that I had trouble managing the kids I worked with this summer at my mom’s child care center, but I’ve been appreciating how easy I had it back then. At least I spoke their language! In addition, these Nicaraguan kids have not grown up learning manners and how to act in public situations like most kids in America. Living in dire poverty and working on the streets limits the opportunities during which such manners are necessitated. However, this means that the kids are even harder to control.

Previously I had trouble disciplining them because I was reluctant to correct such underprivileged children. Since then, however, a few people have given me great advice concerning the benefits of establishing boundaries. Now, even though I understand these benefits, I have trouble establishing order because of the language barrier and their unfamiliarity with having rules.

The previous two paragraphs are just other ways of restating my difficulties in telling the kids not to run inside, wrestle outside of the play area, run around with their food, or stand on the tables. I also have trouble preventing and breaking up fights.

Despite the disciplinary issues I had a great time with the kids today. I often get preoccupied with their faults, but today I was struck with how amazing they are. With their backgrounds there is no way they should exude as much joy and innocence as they do. I appreciated their smiles, laughs, and hugs more than usual today, likely because I was thinking about the trials they’ve faced and the perseverance they exemplify. Although they can be frustrating and certainly test my patience, I was reminded today of just how wonderful and beautiful they truly are. I also learned that I have a looooong way to go before I am ready to be a parent!

No comments: