Thursday, December 13, 2007

Parents and Pictures

My parents arrived safely yesterday afternoon and enjoyed an evening of true Nicaraguan pleasures. We took a walk through our neighborhood, thus acquainting my parents with both our living situation and the intense Nicaraguan sun, checked into their hotel, and went grocery shopping. At dinner Lauren and I made sure to introduce them to Gallo Pinto (rice and beans) and fried plantains, which they seemed to like. Last night we attended a baseball game, which provided my parents with a sample of Nicaraguan culture. The festive atmosphere, interesting food, and inescapable poverty were all representative of life here.

This morning we plan on visiting Lauren's orphanage for a bit. Shockingly, I've never been, so I'm looking forward to putting sights and faces with the stories I hear about every day. Afterwards we might stop by the market and/or spend some time at the pool. This evening my parents, Lauren, and I are going to have a special party with the kids. It will surely be a good time.

I just posted a bunch of pictures from my time with the kids, including some from the Purisima celebration, the school 7 of the kids will be attending, and all of them with their new backpacks. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwnicaragua/


I hope everyone is well. Stay warm and dry back in lovely Baltimore.

Love,
dw

No comments: