Monday, December 17, 2007

What a birthday!

I arrived at the street corner to find the kids waiting with beautiful birthday cards and pictures. I saw the remnants of their craft-making efforts and could immediately tell how much work went into the cards. They then proceeded to sing “Happy Birthday” to me in English. It was incredible. The kids were so excited for my birthday, much more so than I was. I was so touched by their selfless gestures and enthusiasm.

We then proceeded to Pollo Campero. Some of the regulars – Carlos, Kevin, Ninoska, and Stephanie were there, but the kids from the two other families weren’t on the street. While I certainly missed their company, it worked out to be a blessing in disguise because their absence allowed some kids who I usually am forced to turn away, due to the number issue, a chance to come. I adore this girl Aura, who’s a fairly new addition to the corner, and was glad she could come. Two new kids – a boy and a girl – also joined us.

I was already feeling very loved, thanks to the cards and pictures, when we entered Pollo Campero. Our friend Keren and her mother were waiting there to surprise me with a birthday cake, making the afternoon even more special. I was so touched by Keren’s kindness. She spent the time and money to have a cake made, with my name on it, and even surprised me and the kids.

Ninoska’s mother also joined us today, which was lovely. I really appreciate her company. Even though we can’t communicate that well I can tell how much she loves her kids and how appreciative she is of us spending time with them. She was nice enough to give me a pair of sunglasses for a present, which was even more touching considering she already gave me a Che Guevara necklace last week.

We had a great time and, as a plus, the kids were extremely well behaved since their mom was there. The only negative part of the day is that I am now feeling the effects of eating the gigantic piece of cake Ninoska’s mother served me. J

Ninoska and I discussed the possibility of her coming to the US one day. I told her that it is hard, but not impossible, to obtain a visa. I think it would be great if she could come one day and I told her that she could possibly come for college. I encouraged her to study hard and do well in school if she was serious about this.

I am not sure what direction my continued involvement with Nicaragua will take. I know that I am committed to helping these kids enter, and stay in school, but in addition to that I am unclear. Perhaps my involvement will evolve into bringing kids to the US for visits or schooling, but only the future will tell.

Today truly was a wonderful day. Like so many times before, I was served and loved by kids who have so little. When I step back and think about today’s occurrences, I am so grateful for how loved I am here. As a person who, comparatively, has “everything,” to be loved and treated so well by Nicaraguan street kids is quite humbling and meaningful.

I’ve received many wonderful, thoughtful, and special birthday gifts throughout the years, but the wonderful party, cards, and pictures I received today are certainly some of the most memorable.

No comments: